PRODUCT PAGE: https://www.hexater.com/themes/review-catalog/
Theme demos are provided for a couple of reasons. First, of course, so you can get an idea of how the theme looks and feels before you purchase.
Secondly, with this user guide and referencing the same demo, you can replicate it on your own domain and website. Test and try everything out before you start setting things up with your own products, services and/or content; take it for a test drive and see how everything works.
And, from there, it also gives you a great starting point or framework to add your own content, media, layouts and configurations.
This theme’s demo: http://demos.hexater.com/review-catalog/
Just reference the demo above and follow the instructions below this section.
WordPress Install & Theme Activation
Install the Newest Version of WordPress (see: How to Install WordPress).
How to Install Sample Content
This section is optional. Sometimes it’s helpful to first set up your new theme to look like our Theme Demo and then modify it per your needs. To help accomplish that, we provide both the Content and Setup Routine below and an XML file that will import our sample content and media.
If you haven't already, you'll find this file to download in your themes admin under the ADMIN MENU > Appearance > Hexater Theme Info.
Here’s how to install the sample content:
- ADMIN: Tools >> Import
- WordPress – Click Install Now
- WordPress – Run importer
- Browse and Choose the XML Content File You Downloaded
- Click Upload File & Import
- Assign Post to Existing User or Create a New User
- Tick the Box: Download and import file attachments
Important: The XML only installs default posts, pages or media with some exceptions. It does not import content into the customizer, custom posts or other special settings areas (eg, post meta-boxes).
It also does not automatically configure any other settings, widgets or menus. You will need to follow the Content and Setup Routine outlined in this doc and add everything not imported by the XML manually.
Warning: sample content should ONLY be imported on a fresh install of WordPress. It should not be used if you have an existing website, installation of WordPress and previous content.
Theme Customizer Routine
ADMIN: Appearance >> Customize
LIVE PREVIEW: The customizer is an awesome, core feature of WordPress that we take full advantage of in our themes. As you make changes on the left panel, you can see those changes update and appear in the live preview to the right.
Theme Customizer Steps
The customizer is divided into top level panels. Each Panel is divided again into sections.
PANEL: Header Settings
- Logo Placement
- Upload and/or add your logo here. Alternatively, you can use the text box to add a Site Title.
PANEL: Front Page Settings
- Static Front Page & Blog
- Check the ‘A static page’ radio button.
- Choose a page that uses the Front Page template (this is set in the page editor).
- Choose your blog page.
- Hero Settings
- This is the section on the front page, above the fold.
- Complete the Title, Text, and Button fields.
- Enter text for a button and select a button link or enter you own custom link.
- Choose a Hero Image. Check “Extend Hero Image” to extend the chosen image to the section margins.
PANEL: Footer Settings
- Logo Footer – Upload a logo for the footer.
- Copyright (alternate box at the bottom for those that don’t want to use default formatting) …also, automatically adds year range if the founded date is earlier year. (eg, 2001-2018)
- Create Menu
- Choose Menu Location (Header and Footer Menu with this theme)
- Add items
PANEL: Choose a Different Color Scheme
- If the default color scheme for this theme doesn't suit you, feel free to try out these other options put together by our design team!
PANEL: Widget Areas (only visible if you navigate into the site)
- Primary Sidebar – add widgets that will show up on all internal pages with a sidebar.
- Footer Social Bar – Use the “(RCI) Social Button Bar” widget here to create your social icons.
PANEL: Advanced Controls
- Color Workshop – Here you can
change colors individually on the site (works with any scheme).
- The palettes represent the various sections of the site the colors under it can be found.
- Custom CSS (This section has been
deprecated – it is replaced by new Additional CSS section)
- Use this box to add your own custom css sitewide.
PANEL: Additional CSS
- Custom CSS
- As of WordPress 4.7, this section should be used to add custom css.
Done with the Customizer… Save & Publish!
RCI Star Rating System
Then you have the central feature of the theme – RCI Star Rating system. You can choose “up to” 5 categories to rate per post. The thumbnail size adjusts to the number of categories posted.
There is a settings page where you can set defaults for the categories and hints! The hints are what you see when you hover over the row of stars and can be a text representation (eg, poor, superb!), aka tooltips.
Easy to Use Admin for Setting Star Ratings
Add ratings with ease! Write your review and content… and simply use the meta-box below it to choose your categories and ratings. Click Add Default Categories to automatically populate the fields with your defaults… (you simply hover over the stars and they change dynamically, click and the set) ..half star ratings included!
When creating or editing a review, you can enter an overall rating. Otherwise all the rating categories are averaged to show a total rating score.